RELIGION, NATION, MARRIAGE: THE LOYALTIES OF MEN
PRAY, WORK, STUDY, PROTECT: THE DUTIES OF MEN


Friday, June 12, 2015

SOLEMNITY OF THE MOST SACRED HEART: "It is the Father’s will that men should see him in the face of his beloved Son"



(Originally published June 27, 2014)


by David Pence

  


"O Sacred Heart of Jesus, to Thee I consecrate and offer up my person and my life, my actions, trials, and sufferings...
    I take Thee, O Sacred Heart, for the sole object of my love, the protection of my life, the pledge of my salvation...
Be Thou, O Most Merciful Heart, my justification before God Thy Father, and screen me from His anger which I have so justly merited."



For modernizers in the Church after Vatican II, the devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus elicited  a special scorn. "A feast for an organ... why not a day for the Pancreas as well?!" But students of the human soul know that the spiritual faculties of our soul are intellect, will, and heart.

In heaven, the action of Faith on the intellect and Hope on the will shall be spent. But Charity shall still fill the heart and draw us into the Sacred Heart of Christ praising the Father. It is the Divine Liturgy above all that can carry our hearts of stone from the desires of this world to communion with the Trinity. When you can devote a half hour to ponder this truth, watch this explanation of the Orthodox Holy Liturgy.


"The heart of Jesus was wounded for love of us: come, let us adore him."




UPDATE: Here is a short reflection by Pope Benedict. AOA essay on turning this devotion  From Personal Piety to Social Kingship. 

No comments:

Post a Comment